Connecticut Illegal Gambling Operation Was Site of Double Homicide

Estimated read time 3 min read

A man was arrested this week in a case tied to a nefarious gambling den in Bridgeport, Connecticut. The location was the site of a double murder during March.

Bridgeport Mayor Joe Ganim, pictured above. He condemned violence at a gambling operation in the Connecticut city. (Image: Wikipedia)

Sean Ellam, 38, of Bridgeport, was charged Tuesday with criminal possession of a firearm, tampering with evidence, and stealing a firearm, according to the Connecticut Post, a regional news outlet.

He turned himself into Bridgeport police. Ellam was booked and bail was set at $75K. His case was turned over to prosecutors assigned to Bridgeport Superior Court.

More Arrests Expected

The arrest is “the first of what will be several arrests connected to the shooting deaths of two armed men who robbed [the] … illegal gambling club,” Bridgeport Police Detective Jeffrey Holtz was quoted by Patch.

The Stratford Avenue operation was shuttered by authorities following the March 30 murders.

Richard Davis, 30, and Tayvon Geter, 32, both of Bridgeport, were critically wounded in the shootings. Both were discovered outside of the gambling den.

They were rushed to Bridgeport Hospital where they later passed away.

Two additional victims were also wounded in the shooting spree. They were a 34-year-old woman and a 25-year-old man. Both are Bridgeport residents. Neither was immediately identified.

They survived wounds and were treated at a local hospital for their injuries.

The two survivors said they were inside the gambling den when gunfire erupted.

Violence Condemned

The shootings led to a press conference last month by Bridgeport Mayor Joe Ganim and Bridgeport Police Chief Roderick Porter Sr.

The officials condemned the violence and warned of dangers associated with after-hours clubs. They encouraged residents to notify police about suspicious activity tied to the operations.

Ganim promised that city officials will enforce laws connected to any illegal operations.

“This will be pursued collectively by our Police Department, our Health Department, our Fire Department where they fit in to shut this down, this illegal night activity, social club, anything you want to call it, which spurred on to this illegal night of violence and the loss of two Bridgeport residents as the victims of shootings,” Ganim was quoted by the Post.

So far, local police have given few details on the violent March killings.

It was a conflict that began inside this illegal operation,” Porter said while standing at the gambling den. “If this operation had not been here, it would not have allowed and invited that element to occur.”

Bridgeport is some 64 miles east of New York City. For decades, casino proponents have promoted placing a legal casino in Bridgeport.

The post Connecticut Illegal Gambling Operation Was Site of Double Homicide appeared first on Casino.org.

 

​Casino.org

Read More

You May Also Like