Maine Casinos Reopen After Suspected Mass Shooter Found Dead

Estimated read time 3 min read

Maine’s two gaming properties are reopening their doors. They were shuttered for many hours due to a nearby mass shooting.

Some of the victims in the Maine mass shooting, pictured above. From left, Billy Brackett, Joshua Seal and Steven Vozzella. (Image: People)

The gaming floor at Oxford Casino Hotel is scheduled to open its doors at 11 a.m. Saturday.

Casino officials have advised guests it’s “still remaining cautious and vigilant.”

Visitors temporarily will need to use the hotel entrance to get into the casino. Police officers will be on duty.

We ask that you please show our Team Members who come into work kindness and patience as some areas may be short staffed,” the casino’s statement added.

Even though the casino will open, the hotel will remain closed until Tuesday.

Also, the Hollywood Casino Hotel & Raceway Bangor reopened at 4 p.m. on Friday. It too beefed up security.

The Oxford Casino Hotel is about 14 miles from the crime scenes in Lewiston, Maine. The Hollywood Casino Hotel & Raceway Bangor is approximately 106 miles from the murders.

On Friday night, officials announced that the suspect in the mass shootings, Robert Card, was found dead.

Card Shot Himself

He apparently died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, authorities revealed.

His body was found in a trailer near a recycling plant in Lisbon Falls, Maine. He formerly worked at the plant.

Eighteen victims died from the Wednesday night shootings. Thirteen others were injured.

The shootings took place in two locations in Lewiston, including a bowling alley called Sparetime Recreation and Schemengees Bar and Grill, four miles from the bowling alley.

Card initially was identified as a “person of interest” in the crimes. Then, he was identified as a suspect. He was considered armed and dangerous. He had in his possession an AR-15-style rifle.

In the wake of the shootings, residents in the region were advised to shelter in place with their doors locked. Schools and many businesses were closed.

On Friday afternoon, authorities lessened restrictions. Then, at 7:45 p.m., when Card’s body was found, the public was told to resume a normal routine.

Our community can now breathe a sigh of relief,” Lewiston Police Department Chief David St. Pierre said at a Friday night news conference.

Families Continue to Grieve

“I just don’t want to forget the families that are grieving and will continue to grieve. I don’t want to forget the law enforcement officials that have worked tirelessly throughout this whole event,” St. Pierre added.

Maine Gov. Janet Mills, D, added at the news conference that the discovery of the body was “entirely thanks to the hundreds of local, county, state and federal law enforcement members from all over and people from other states as well, people who searched tirelessly.”

Card was suspected to have suffered from mental health issues, CNN reported. More details on the incident are expected to be revealed in coming days.

The post Maine Casinos Reopen After Suspected Mass Shooter Found Dead appeared first on



You May Also Like